swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] CfP ESSA2009 Modelling Societal Transitions

From: J. de Haan
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] CfP ESSA2009 Modelling Societal Transitions
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:03:51 +0100

Call for Papers

on:

“Modelling Societal Transitions”

for:

The Sixth Conference of

The European Social Simulation Association

ESSA 2009

University of Surrey, Guildford (UK), September 14-18, 2009

Societal transitions are system-wide shifts to fundamentally new ways of meeting societal needs. Think for instance of an electricity supply system transforming into a sustainably fed decentralized grid, or a health care system pushing its orthodox ways of dealing with patients and their health beyond a sole focus on diagnosing and treating illnesses. Societal transitions are complex processes since they are so radical that they require changing the very structure of large-scale systems.

These are just the processes that fascinate many a modeller and we invite you to send in a paper on “modelling societal transitions” for a special session on this subject. Preferably treating an actual simulation model, although contributions treating conceptual, or assessment models are welcome too.

In the vein of what we think transition research ought to be, different, innovative, fascinating, we encourage you to surprise us with novel modelling methods, innovative theoretical approaches and untaught of insights. We therefore especially invite you to share and apply your modelling experiences on phenomena that appear unrelated but – according to you – share some key features. Think for instance normative agents in transition models or the impact of policies in transition processes. We also strongly encourage experts in established methods or platforms, like swarmers, repasters, system-dynamicians, to take it as a challenge and put their skills to the test on a transition model.

Conference

[http://cress.soc.surrey.ac.uk/essa2009/index.php]

Submission info

[http://cress.soc.surrey.ac.uk/essa2009/submission.php]

Info on the Societal Transitions Special Interest Group

[http://www.essa.eu.org/Special%20Interest%20Groups/SocietalTransitionsSIGWiki]

Please indicate in the EasyChair conference system that your paper is to be submitted to the Societal Transition SIG, rather than in the paper itself.

Important dates before the conference:

1st April, 2009 Deadline for submissions

1st June, 2009 Notification of acceptance and Registration opens

1st July, 2009 Deadline for submission of final versions of papers and Early registration closes

We are looking forward to your contributions and your presence at our sessions at the conference!

For any questions on the SIG, transitions or our sessions at ESSA 2009 do not hesitate to contact:

J. de Haan – address@hidden

J. Timmermans – address@hidden

De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder.
The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more.