Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: santefe.edu: host not foun

From: Frank Lin
Subject: Re: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: santefe.edu: host not found)
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 15:08:12 -0500 (CDT)

 Hi, Roger,
   As you indicated, I do check the two programs, grid9.m and mousetraps.m, to
understand how multi-level swarm can be used.  The followings are things needed
your clarification.

 ---- The last part of the mousetraps.m program from grid test directory at
960110 distribution ----

   // create the mousetrap world schedule and schedule its first action

   worldSchedule = [Schedule createBegin: aZone];
   [worldSchedule setAutoDrop: 1];
   worldSchedule = [worldSchedule createEnd];

   aMousetrap = [grid atX: gridSize/2 atY: gridSize/2];
   [worldSchedule at: 0 createActionTo: aMousetrap message: M(trigger)];

   // include the mousetrap world in its own swarm

   worldSwarm = [Swarm create: aZone];
   startupPlan = [worldSwarm getSwarmPlan];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSchedule message: M(start)];

   // create display schedule and schedule the display events

   displaySchedule = [Schedule createBegin: aZone];
   [displaySchedule setRepeatInterval: 10];
   displaySchedule = [displaySchedule createEnd];

   [displaySchedule at: 0 createActionTo:
     [grid atX: (gridSize + gridSize/2)/(gridSize/2) atY: gridSize/2]
     message: M(printTriggered)];
   [displaySchedule at: 9 createActionCall: (func_t)testTerminate : (id)250];

   // create a swarm to combine the display schedule and the world swarm

   experimentSwarm = [Swarm create: aZone];
   startupPlan = [experimentSwarm getSwarmPlan];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: displaySchedule message: M(start)];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSwarm message: M(start)];

   // start the world and schedule its termination

   swarmActivity = [experimentSwarm start];

   // [worldSchedule at: 20 createActionTo: swarmActivity message:
M(terminate)];

   // run the simulation

   [swarmActivity run];
   printf( "total number of mousetraps triggered: %d\n", numTriggered );
   return 0;
 }

 1) Are the following two groups of statement equal?

   worldSwarm = [Swarm create: aZone];
   startupPlan = [worldSwarm getSwarmPlan];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSchedule message: M(start)];

 vs.

   startupPlan = [SwarmPlan create: aZone];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSchedule message: M(start)];

 2) What is the relationship between "worldSwarm" and "experimentSwarm"?
    Why both are using the "startupPlan"?

 3) Could you explain the meanings of the following statements?  Are they
redundent?

   worldSwarm = [Swarm create: aZone];
   startupPlan = [worldSwarm getSwarmPlan];
   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSchedule message: M(start)];

 vs.

   [startupPlan createActionTo: worldSwarm message: M(start)];

 Frank Lin