Re: Combat Simulations and Swarm

From: Trey Fondon
Subject: Re: Combat Simulations and Swarm
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:07:30 -0500 (CDT)

Please continue to post your interactions to the list (if noone else minds)
as I like to keep up with the different types of applications of the
system..

Thanks,
Trey

>To Lance Forbes and Mike Brown:
>
>        I am answering you both over the swarm-support list because I wondered
>if any other swarm users out there were working on similar problems.
>I'll send most future messages directly so as not to clog the
>swarm-support list.
>        As to your question on combat models in Swarm.  I am currently  working
>on a high resolution combat model designed to  simulate the battalion
>and below mounted battle.  I am not creating this model for the sake of
>the model alone.  My eventual goal is to parameterize the inputs to the
>simulation that describe a friendly course of action.  Then I will run
>the simulation alongside a genetic algorithm to optimize the outcome of
>the battle as a function of those course of action inputs.  I have
>already done this using a very simplistic model written in C.  See my
>web page at http://www.rpi.edu/kewler/ for a more detailed description
>of this work.  I believe that this model will have an application as a
>tactical decision aid.
>        My current status is that I have a fairly simple model working in
>swarm.  It simulates the battle with one homogeneous  force against
>another.  It fights on a terrain data base depicting a 10km by 10km
>piece of terrain at the National Training Center.  It displays the
>terrain (I only use elevation data currently) and the friendly and enemy
>forces as they fight the battle.  The combat algorithms use a constant
>rate movement model, a simplistic target acquisition model based on the
>DYNTACS model (It considers line of sight as a regression model to fit
>field data.  Input variables are range, enemy height, enemy speed,
>terrian complexity, and probability of looking in the sector containing
>the enemy), a random target selection model, and a simple attrition
>model which bases probability of kill on a linear interpolation between
>100% at zero range and 0% at max range.
>        My strategy was to keep the model simple until I could build  the
>graphics, genetic algorithm, and fuzzy fitness function into it.  Then I
>will build in  more complexity and realism.  My preliminary work had
>promising results.
>        My biggest problem is access to currently used combat models.  I  have
>material from the Naval Postgraduate School, the ELAN combat model from
>TRADOC Analysis Center - White Sands Missile Range, and the Military OR
>Analyst's Handbook from Military Operation Research Society.  I
>currently only have access to terrain data on the  US Geologic Survey
>web site.  If any of you have access to combat algorithms or processed
>terrain data bases designed for simulations, I would be interested.
>        If you have any further questions, please email me directly.  I will
>send each of  you periodic updates as long as you are interested.

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
> [...]

John W. Fondon III  (Trey)
McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development
Genome Science & Technology Center
Garner Nanovolumes Laboratory
t.u. Southwestern Medical Center
address@hidden