Different agents accessing different worlds...

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Different agents accessing different worlds...
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:12:40 -0600

>Does anyone know if there would be any reason that problem-agents from
>one world couldnt see solution-agents into the other world. I ran a
>debug script (thanks again, you know who you are), which looped through
>all locations on the "solution world". It was inside of the Problems
>"step" function. It found only nils.

There shouldn't be any reason why an agent wouldn't be able to
ask any number of space objects what it's got at a given sight
and then be able to talk to the object at that sight.

All you have to ensure is that the pointer to the space object is
known and valid to the querying agent.  What might be happening
to you is that you've got a pointer to one of your other worlds
that was trashed or never initialized (and, so is set to 0x0).
Then, obviously the return from any message you send to that will
probably be nil.  You can check this by using a break point in
the debugger on nil_method or patching your objective C runtime
so that it exits when nil_method is called.
(Ref: http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/swarmdocs/debugging.html)

If that's not the case, then I'd probably have to see the source
code to help.

glen

--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |             Hail Eris!             }