Re: Win32 support questions

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: Re: Win32 support questions
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 13:06:27 -0500

Thanks, Marcus!  yay ditto on Swarmfest 98!

> GB> 2. This means I can port Gecko to run under Windows95 AND
> GB> WindowsNT?

Guess I didn't catch the answer to this one.

> GB> 3. Can I use Swarm's InstallShield?  Like, add Gecko and bundle it
> GB> up and tell people to click Setup.exe, and all?
>
> Is it no longer the case that Gecko uses X features in the application itself?
> InstallShield support is still on the TODO list, so any specific
> packaging ideas you have would be useful.

Gecko needs to be ported to a recent Swarm.  Gecko will do what it needs
to en route.  You draw rectangles somehow.  Gecko has to draw circles
somehow.  Same somehow will do, I hope.  Y'all adding drawCircle to your
whatever.m would make this trivial for me, of course. ;)

My main wish list gist in #3 was that I package Gecko+Swarm with a
simple run-this and both, configured together consistently, are
installed.  It's an always-so-thing that a particular revision of
mystuff will go with a particular revision of yourstuff, and not very
happy with particular other revisions of yourstuff.  So, however it's
done, I'd like them installable as One.  And preferably even for a Gecko
programmer to be able to take that One, add histuff, and create a new
improved One.  InstallShield might or might not help do this.  Don't
really know that much about it, or its licensing details as to whether
all-Swarm-value-adders can be included in a license.  A nice neat
Uninstall would also be very cool.

Cheers,
        Ginger