Re: Cyg-gnu-win fun

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Cyg-gnu-win fun
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:33:08 -0700

Hmmm.  Mine doesn't actually dissappear.  A

mv booga ..\ooga

basically renames the file from "booga" to "..ooga".  This
is actually proper behavior because the "\" should be read
as an escape character.... and I believe "\o" == "o" [grin]

glen

Robert wrote:

> Perhaps I missed something in the beta version warnings, but in the
> win-bash shell if one uses a backslash instead of a forwardslash in
> cp or mv then your new file (or moved file) disappears without a
> trace...no warning either.
>
> mv winemacs.exe ../swarm    ----> all is happy
> mv winemacs.exe ..\swarm    ----> winemacs.exe is sent into the
>                                                       ether....imagine
> the surprised
>                                                       look after
> patiently waiting
>                                                       2 hrs for that
> download...argh.
>
> Anyway, thought those that just grabbed the files and started
> hacking away with getting swarm up on NT might want a heads
> up.
>
> Since there seems to be some significant differences between
> installing on 95 and on NT, does this little phenomenon happen on
> 95, too?
>
> Robert
> address@hidden

Glen E. Ropella                  (505) 424-0448
The Swarm Corporation            address@hidden