gui display of objects on list & long text

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: gui display of objects on list & long text
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:29:00 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone done, or had ideas about how to do,
these kinds of displays:

1. Display a list of objects, in some short form,
   so that the user could then click on an object
   and get a full probe into it.
   For example, maybe each object on the list could
   be represented/displayed as a line in a scrollable window,
   and the user could click on the line to get a probe
   into that object.

   Maybe one could construct some widgets to act
   as an interface to tcl/tk, and use tcl/tk facilities
   to display the list, the scrollbars, etc?
   One thing I don't know off hand is how to
   coordinate so that a mouseclick on a line
   could get back to bring up a probe
   (eg as is done in the 2d space windows in heatbugs).

2. Display long, multi-line text, in scrollable windows.
   Here I have in mind tasks like displaying
   traces of events, or some such.

Thanks for any ideas (or better, examples) for doing
this kind of thing.

 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html