Re: New User-make problems (Redhat 5.1)-Repost

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: New User-make problems (Redhat 5.1)-Repost
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 14:27:53 -0600

You need to install the XPM libraries and the development library. They show up
in the redhat list as xpm and dpm-devel.   I think it has come up before that
the swarm rpms don't check to see if you have the devel packages installed.  If
the user who found the same problem last week with xpm-devel solved it, please
let me know so I can be sure that is the fix.  I believe the problem reported
here is fixed if you install the Xpm-devel and the libpng and libpng-devel
packages. Make sure you have XFree86-devel.

Distributing these in rpm format is a learning process for me and next
iteration I'll add xpm-devel to the list of requirements in the package. The
devel package requirement was not caught automatically (I think) because it is
not inherent to Swarm itself, but rather it is required for building
swarmapps.  When the package manager builds a package, it checks for
requirements that it needed to build itself and run itself, but it doesn't
check for all conceivable development packages that might be required to use
things you might eventually want to compile, if you know what I mean.

Write me directly if you have further trouble.

Paul Johnson
address@hidden