Re: Power law process

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: Power law process
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 16:14:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi Sven-
I haven't seen any such algorithms myself; there might be one in one of
these books:

Devroye, L. (1986). Non-uniform Random Variate Generation.
Springer-Verlag.

Bratley, P., B.L. Fox, and E.L. Shrage. (1983). A Guide to Simulation.
Springer-Verlag.

If you can't find a specific algorithm for power law random variates, you
might write an algorithm using either the transformation method (Section
7.2) or the rejection method (Section 7.3) in:

Press, William H., et al. (1992). Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of
Scientific Computing. 2nd ed. Cambridge U. Press. PostScript online at
http://www.nr.com/

See also:
Knuth, D.E. (1998). The Art of Computer Programming. vol. 2: Seminumerical
Algorithms. pp. 119-142. Addison-Wesley.

If all else fails, you can just implement Per Bak's sandpile simulation
and use the distribution generated by that. :)
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                               address@hidden
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems