Re: Disappearing ProbeMap and non-functioning controlPanel

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Disappearing ProbeMap and non-functioning controlPanel
Date: 01 Sep 1999 08:03:16 -0700

DS> -I/Swarm-1.3.1/packages/swarm/include Parameters.m Parameters.m:
DS> In function `_i_Parameters__init': Parameters.m:81: `controlPanel'

controlPanel is an instance variable that would be inherited from
the Observer GUISwarm.  It doesn't really make sense to use it
in a parameters class.

DS> 1.  What do I need to get the probeMap to continue to display?

A ProbeMap is a filter associated with a class.  Sometimes when
you have a very complex [agent] class you don't want to get a probe
display with a bunch of uninteresting information on the screen.  A ProbeMap
lets you name the variables that interest you.

The macro that Rick mentioned (CREATE_ARCHIVED_PROBE_DISPLAY) accomplishes
two things 1) it makes a ProbeDisplay per any associated ProbeMap, or
otherwise just the variables, and 2) tells Swarm to take note of where you
positioned the widget on the screen if you should press `save'.

DS> 2.  What do I need for the controlPanel to work?

Typically, some kind of ObserverSwarm.