Program increasing in size due to random passing of messages to list?

From: Norberto Eiji Nawa(0.3.31)
Subject: Program increasing in size due to random passing of messages to list?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:48:41 +0900

Hello:

Recently I noticed that my models gradually increase in size
(according to 'top') sometimes almost crashing the system, if I let
them run for a while.

First I imagined they were caused by memory leaks or due to some
unfreed objects, but now I suspect it is something else and I would
like to ask if anyone had faced a similar problem in the past.

It seems that my models will increase in size if I set a message to be
passed in random order to a list of objects (interval = 1). I tried
this condition in heatbugs and got the above mentioned strange
behavior (though heatbugs increase in size in a much smaller rate than
my models, wonder why...).

Am I missing something here?

Just in case you are interested, I prepared a canonical test program:

http://www.hip.atr.co.jp/~xnawa/swarm/test.tar.gz

I am using linux 2.2.9, gcc 2.7.2.2, and swarm 1.4.1

Any hints will be very welcome.

Eiji