Re: Making swarm use functions from other toolkits (Glib, GNUstep)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Making swarm use functions from other toolkits (Glib, GNUstep)
Date: 22 Sep 1999 13:13:06 -0700

PJ> If I were to use the Java collection's list library in the Java
PJ> files, could that list be then passed over to the Obj-C class?
PJ> would it know what to do with it?

Pure Java objects passed to Swarm have Objective C proxy object
placeholders.  Internally, whenever Swarm sends a message to a proxy,
it first takes a look at a directory of foreign objects and gets a
hold of the original native-language non-proxy object.  Then, with this
information, Swarm re-issues the call in a way suitable to the
destination native language.

If your question is "Do objects in various external collections
libraries get directly mirrored in Swarm collections?", the answer is
no.  However, you can send messages in both directions, so you could
make iterators/indices and all that on the Java side and use them on the
Objective C side, just as you can access a Swarm Map in Java code.

As for accessing user Objective C classes in Java, we plan to take
the stubbing machinery that exists and package it as standalone tool.
The idea is you'd describe your classes with a protocol file, run
"make javastubs" and you'd get a DLL and JAR file you could use from Java.
That's possible now, but requires some elisp and makefile munging to get
working for user code.