Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on Linux RedHat

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on Linux RedHat
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:24:42 -0500

Natalie Guay wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>     I just want to know if instead of using Kaffe with Swarm 2.0.1, I can use
> IBM JDK
> 1.1.8 for Linux (www.alphaworks.ibm.com) ?
>     JDK 1.1.8 for Linux  have an increased stability and it also runs
> faster...
>
>     So can I do this change ?
>
>     Thank's a lot.
>
> Natalie Guay
> ------------------
> MSc computer science
> University of Montreal,
> CIRANO
> 2020 University
> Montreal, Quebec
> address@hidden

Yes, it can be done.  for swarm 2.0, I had RPMs built for the JDK1.2.  I
do not think JDK1.1.8 has all the classes you need, I'm pretty sure
Marcus said use 1.2.  I've not made the RPMs for 2.0.1, those are now
made at the SFI and I think they are trying to keep things clear by
offering binaries only for kaffe.  I think I like the JDK better, so I
may whip up an RPM for that.

IF you want to compile swarm  yourself, it is pretty easy nowdays.
Note, you must must must have gcc-2.95.1 available.  There is no need
for jikes if you go the jdk route, that's the good news.

This sequence of commands will work, I think.

JAR=/usr/local/jdk1.2/bin/jar  JAVAC=/usr/local/jdk1.2/bin/javac
./configure --with-defaultdir=/usr --disable-static --prefix=/usr
--with-jdkdir=/usr/local/jdk1.2 --enable-subdirs

(The JAR business is not necessary, but if you use it it will wrap up
the swarm classes in a jar file. If you don't use it, you need
--disable-jar at the end of your configure statement.)

(the "--enable-subdirs" configure option is a brand new one, it causes
swarm to build itself and install into subdirs named "swarm" under
/usr/lib, /usr/include. I like that because it keeps things neat and
clean. Otherwise, I believe it will drop your swarm stuff right into
/usr/lib

make

make install

The SPEC file I used to build the RPM for swarm2.0 is on my page
(address below).  You can fiddle with that if you want, rebuild  your
own RPM.  If you have machine trouble and want me to do an RPM, write me
on a private line.