Re: [Q] seg-fault in malloc?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Q] seg-fault in malloc?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:45:10 -0500

Gary Polhill wrote:

> Is it OK to free a pointer allocated using xmalloc? (Is there some other
> function than free that I should use to do this?)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gary
Many people have not noticed that, in the Zone protocol, there are
methods to allocate memory that replace malloc and have the advantage
that they work within the Swarm framework.  Most importantly, if you
allocate something in a zone with allocBlock: or alloc:, the memory will
get dropped when the zone is dropped.  Also, it is not likely you will
allocate too-small of a space when you use them.

I saw a thread in this list betwen Marcus Daniels and Ken Cline (I think
it was Ken) about how the alloc: method did not work exactly the way
people expected in the old swarm days, but in the new swarm days it is
fine and dandy.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn