Re: hdf5 problem

From: gepr
Subject: Re: hdf5 problem
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:46:34 -0700

Paul Johnson writes:

 > Glen:  hdf5 1.4.2 is kinda old. We've been running aginst 1.4.3 about 6
 > months and 1.4.4 was about a month ago and I've built it on my system. I
 > don't understand how you get these errors, I don't see them when I build
 > the tarball that was dated  5-14.
 >
 > I will try to replicate with CVS if you can remind me of the
 > automake/autoconf/ blah blah blah that you do to the source before
 > ./configure...  I've found an old email that goes, from the top level of
 > the CVS directory,

I don't think it has anything to do with the HDF5 version.  I thumbed
through the release notes for 1.4.2-1.4.4 and didn't find anything
related to a change in behavior of H5Sclose().  I'm pretty sure
it was a change in the underlying Swarm code.  Same hdf, different
swarm installs.  My patch makes it work, though it's possible I've
introduced a memory leak.

You've got the autoX stuff right.   The FAQ is wrong, I think in
that it puts automake before autoheader.  But what you have below
works.

 > The other problem was that libtool was failing for some kinds of
 > installs.  And, for me, that process has had some trouble over the last
 > year because I only build swarm into RPM packages. I hate the idea of
 > being root and typing "make install" on any system:).

A good practice (for our swarm, anyway) is to install in either
a user directory:  ./configure --prefix=/home/wolfram/localswarm
or in an identifiable system directory:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/swarm-2002-08-07

Then when you want to get rid of it, you just delete that directory.
Setting SWARMHOME=/usr/local/swarm-2002-08-07 will make all the
relevant stuff work.

 >  So ooncerning the
 > CVS version, I have run into problems in the past because the Swarm
 > source was using a much newer automake/libtool than RedHat Linux and the
 > creation of RPMs was failing.  I dug pretty deep and learned this was a
 > known problem and there were suggested patches for libtool.  I see now
 > on my system I'm still using a libtool snap from 2001-11-21 and a hacked
 > version of automake-1.5. I did eventually get it to work, but
 > maintaining the tool chain on several different machines got to be
 > complicated.

I'm using standard Debian packaged distributions from the Debian
site.  I haven't had to install anything by hand.

And I avoid RedHat like the plague... I'd rather use MacOSX over
RedHat. [grin]

All I'm looking for is a code review and maybe some verification.
Since we don't have Marcus to kick around, anymore, we're going
to have to start helping each other limp along.  And source code
reviews are necessary.

glen
--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr