[Swarm-Support] (no subject)

From: Géraldine
Subject: [Swarm-Support] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:45:35 -0800 (PST)

Problems Running JHeatbugs

I have been trying to run jheatbugs-2.1 with Swarm-2.2-pretest-11.

My configuration:

*Win XP

*Cygwin

   - default configuration (ftp site easynet.be)

   - explicitly adding in Devel (gcc-objc, gcc-java, make), in Editors (vim and emacs), in Interpreters (Perl), in Libraries (libpng12, tcltk) and in Text (less).

*Java Platform j2sdk1.4.2_02

*JBuilder8

Installation:

*Cygwin installed “from the web” on c:\cygwin

*Java Platform installed on c:\j2sdk1.4.2

*Swarm-2.2

    - after putting the compressed file on c:\, I opened the cygwin shell and typed

cd c:/

mount

tar zxf Swarm-2.2-pretest-11.tar.gz

mount ‘c:\Swarm-2.2’ /Swarm-2.2

-> Error message indicating that the directory doesnÂ’t exist, but actually does create it anyway. No problem.

At this point I close the cygwin shell and do the following changes:

1.       In c:\cygwin\etc I edited the bash.bashrc file by adding

export HOME=/cygdrive/c

export SWARMHOME=$HOME/Swarm-2.2

export JAVA_HOME=$HOME/j2sdk1.4.2

export LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=$SWARMHOME/share/blt2.4

PATH="."

PATH="$PATH:$SWARMHOME/bin"

PATH="$PATH:$HOME/cygwin/bin"

PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"

export PATH

alias ls="ls --color=yes"

2.       In c:\Swarm-2.2\bin I edited the javacswarm file (like posted)

Â…

_JAVACLASSES=”$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/rt.jar”

jdkdir=”$JAVA_HOME”

Â…

JAVAC=”javac”

3.       In c:\Swarm-2.2\bin I also edited the javaswarm file, like in 2 for the first two paths.

4.       I created c:\Swarm-E and put the compressed jheatbugs file in it. I “untared” it with cygwin.

5.       Typing make in the shell indicated that there was a mistake in HeatbugModelSwarm at line 298, which I corrected by removing the value of the third argument in the function (“true”).

6.       I repeated the previous step the previous file. Everything was ok.

7.       I typed

Javaswarm StartHeatbugs

Â… and to my great despair, absolutely nothing happened. (Not even the bltGraph problem sometimes mentionedÂ…)

I decided to try to run everything from JBuilder to see if I could debug from there.

To set the PATH in WinXP I opened Start/Settings/ControlPanel/System/Environment and created

PATH = .;c:\Swarm-2.2\bin;c:\cygwin\bin

In the cygwin shell I created a jar file called heat.jar containing the jheatbug classes located at c:\Swarm-E\jheatbug-2.1\heat.jar

In JBuilder I created a project, HEAT, with the following settings:

Output path

C:/Documents and Settings/GĂ©raldine/jbproject/HEAT/classes

Backup path

C:/Documents and Settings/GĂ©raldine/jbproject/HEAT/bak

Working directory

C:/Documents and Settings/GĂ©raldine/jbproject/HEAT

Path

C:/Swarm-E/jheatbugs-2.1

Under required libraries, I added:

[C:/Swarm-2.2/share/swarm/swarm.jar]

[C:/Swarm-E/jheatbug-2.1/heat.jar]

[C:/cygwin/bin]                          ***ignoring if this last one even makes senseÂ…

I imported the *.java files from c:\Swarm-E\jheatbug-2.1\ and set the project to start from main in StartHeatbug.

Now, I think thatÂ’s about it.

BUILD and MAKE work perfectly and donÂ’t indicate any error or warning whatsoever. But when I run the project nothing happens (like on the cygwin shell).

I tried to debug it step by step and what happens is that when I reach the following line (#15, main, StartHeatbugs.java):

Globals.env.initSwarm ("jheatbugs", "2.1", "address@hidden", args);

The programs seem to … ??? I don’t know!? I tried to run it several times and noticed that I had (as many times) the javaw.exe process running but without “seeing” anything!!!

I saw by reading in the posted files that there had been problems with the new cygwin tcltk files. I downloaded an older version that was posted on the net and tried to install it with the cygwin installer, but it does not allow me to do it.

I would appreciate your help. Please include many details because IÂ’m completely new to this.

Thank you.

GĂ©raldine Bous

address@hidden

Do you Yahoo!?