Re: [Swarm-Support] Porting problems...

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Porting problems...
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:29:21 -0500

Most importantly, I'd suggest you get some current application that does work and then compare the usages between that one and your old one.

Also, you have verified that your version of Swarm compiles/runs for some of the swarmapps that are known to run, right?

Concerning:
> ModelSwarm.m:99: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
> `setSizeX:Y:'

You get this kind of message when the compiler can't figure what type of object you are sending the message to (if you just declared it as an id, for example) or if the method is not declared in a header file.

You can check the header files for yourself this way
$ cd /usr/include/swarm
$ grep setSize *
space.h:+ create: (id <Zone>)aZone setSizeX: (unsigned)x Y: (unsigned)y;
space.h:- setSizeX: (unsigned)x Y: (unsigned)y;
space.h:+ create: (id <Zone>)aZone setSizeX: (unsigned)x Y: (unsigned)y setDiffusionConstant: (double)d setEvaporationRate: (double)e;

This shows that space objects do have the method, but your code is not giving the compiler enough information on where to find it. Possibly you don't have the right header file included. That's one of the big changes in Swarm after version 1.0.

If you try your best and can't get it to go, send me a link to your tar.gz file and I'll allocate 30 minutes of concentration to it. Usually, the changes are not terrible, but you just have to carefully check each compiler warning, one by one.

pj

Derek Farren wrote:
Hi.

I am upgrading Pietro Terna´s abcde Swarm v.1.0.5 simulation to v.2.2. I
followed all steps in the reference guide, but still get the following
errors. This errors are taken from the shell´s compilation output,
everithing else seems to be ok. The program complete its compilation, but
the .exe doesn´t run.

ERROR 1
------------------------
main.m
main.m: In function `main':
main.m:24: warning: passing arg 2 of `_initSwarm_' from incompatible pointer
type
------------------------
I really don´t know what´s wrong in this one, line 24 reads  initSwarm(argc,
argv);  ... if that helps....

ERROR 2
-----------------------
ModelSwarm.m
ModelSwarm.m: In function `-[ModelSwarm buildObjects]':
ModelSwarm.m:99: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`setSizeX:Y:'
----------------------
Seems to me like the method setSizeX:Y: isn´t defined anymore on any of the
classes imported from modelswarm.h.... should I create the method, or it
come on a diferent library class?? or comes now with a diferent name??

ERROR 3
----------------------
ConsumerDescription.m
ConsumerDescription.m: In function `-[ConsumerDescription clear]':
ConsumerDescription.m:17: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`fillWithValue:'
ConsumerDescription.m: In function `-[ConsumerDescription
addAConsumer:buyingLevel:offerPrice:]':
ConsumerDescription.m:28: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`putValue:atX:Y:'
ConsumerDescription.m:29: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`putValue:atX:Y:'
ConsumerDescription.m: In function `-[ConsumerDescription
addPricesToConsumer:buyingLevel:offerPrice:offerMinPrice:offerMaxPrice:]':
ConsumerDescription.m:49: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`putValue:atX:Y:'
ConsumerDescription.m:53: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`putValue:atX:Y:'
ConsumerDescription.m:54: warning: `ConsumerDescription' does not respond to
`putValue:atX:Y:'
Same here as error 2, but with methods fillWithValue and putValue:atX:Y: .

Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

Derek