[Swarm-Support] HDF5

From: Remy Bresson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] HDF5
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:14:46 +0100

Hello everybody,
I am Remy Bresson. I develop a free software for ecological researcher. To do
this I use the swarm library. I need to use HDF5 to save the result of my
simulation because HDF5 seems to be usable with R.

But I have some problemes with HDF5 support in swarm. I just try a simple code
following.

To resume what do this code, I create a object 'item' and try to save it both
in scheme and with HDF5. With scheme there is no probleme. But when I use HDF5,
a file item.hdf is created but when I run again the code, the archiver seems to
be unable to read the hdf5 file.
So I try to open the file with a windows utility : h5ls.exe ==> unable to open
file.
I think that I need to install a library but I am not sure.

Information : I develop in Java with windows, because my laboratory provide me
good tools to work under windows, but my software will be used under UNIX super
computer.

MY QUESTION IS : Need I to install something more than swarm to use hdf5
serialization with swarm? ( For windows and Unix  platform )

Thanks.

PS : sorry for my poor english but I just begin to use english.

import swarm.Globals;
import swarm.defobj.HDF5ArchiverImpl;
import swarm.defobj.LispArchiverImpl;
import swarm.defobj.Archiver;
import swarm.defobj.Zone;

class Item
{
   public boolean a;
   public int b;
   public float c;
   public double d;

   Item ()
   {
   }

   Item (boolean a, int b, float c, double d)
   {
      this.a = a;
      this.b = b;
      this.c = c;
      this.d = d;
   }
}

public class ArchivedItem
{
   public Item item;

   public ArchivedItem ()
   {
      super ();

      item = new Item (true, 1, 2.0f, 3.0);
      item = new Item ();
   }

   void toFile (Archiver archiver)
   {
      System.out.println (archiver.getObject ("item"));
      archiver.putShallow$object ("item", item);
      archiver.sync ();
      System.out.println (archiver.getObject ("item"));
   }

   void load(Archiver archiver)
   {
      item = (Item)archiver.getObject( "item" );
   }

   static public void main (String args[])
   {
      Globals.env.initSwarm ("ArchivedItem", "0.0", "address@hidden", args);
      Zone aZone = Globals.env.globalZone;

      ArchivedItem item = new ArchivedItem ();

      item.toFile (new HDF5ArchiverImpl (aZone, "item.hdf"));
      item.load(new HDF5ArchiverImpl (aZone, "item.hdf"));

      item.toFile (new LispArchiverImpl (aZone, "item.scm"));
      item.load(new LispArchiverImpl (aZone, "item.scm"));

      System.out.println( item.item.a + "/" + item.item.b + "/"
      + item.item.c + "/" + item.item.d );
   }
}