Re: [Swarm-Support] Problem with HeatBug example under cygwin and Swarm-

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Problem with HeatBug example under cygwin and Swarm-2.2-java
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 12:41:38 +1000

However, when not in batch mode, I can not see the main window with the
start and stop buttons and I got the following error:

error: TkExtra (instance)

This error is actually in the MacOS X FAQ but not Windows.

It can occur on any system that does not use X11 for its default display, which in practice means MacOS or Windows.

The cause is very simple. The X11 server must be running before you attempt to launch Tk or it crashes with that message. You will get the same error by typing 'wish' at the Cygwin prompt.

The cure is equally simple: Start the X11 server before attempting to start a GUI Swarm app.

Bill Northcott