[Swarm-Support] UML for Obj-C

From: Tim Kohler
Subject: [Swarm-Support] UML for Obj-C
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:22:08 -0700

Greetings. We are looking for a way to compactly and accurately describe portions of the Obj-C code under which Village runs. We've found three packages that claim to generate UML diagrams from Obj-C code:

The first company Excel Software www.excelsoftware.com has the most comprehensive tool, but it charges $2000 dollars for a single site lincense.  (Some nice discussion on creating UML for objective-C located here: http://www.excelsoftware.com/uml_for_objectivec.pdf. )This is out of our price range!

Another software package is called Object Creator.  It has a demo version which doesn't have all of the features, which we haven't tried yet. The complete program costs $120:
http://objectcreator.webhop.net/

The third package we found is called Object Plant.  It has the least information about the product but claims to work with objective-C if you buy the appropriate extension.  The software costs
$25 dollars and the Objective-C extension another $10:
http://www.arctaedius.com/ObjectPlant/  .

We'd be interested in hearing any experiences that you folks may have had with these products (especially the second two), or whether there are other products we ought to be looking at.

Many thanks, TK

Tim Kohler, Professor
Faculty Graduate Coordinator, Archaeology
Anthropology, WSU
Pullman, WA  99164-4910
(509) 335-2698