[Swarm-Support] Swarm on ubuntu/debian

From: dgokaydin
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on ubuntu/debian
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:13:03 +0100 (WEST)

Hello Swarm support,

I've been trying to compile Swarm on ubuntu 6.06 (the latest version). I
followed the instructions here:

http://br.geocities.com/alves_aq/swarm.en.html

but they're for the previous version of ubuntu, and without Java support.
It works by the way, if I do it with "--without-jdkdir". On compiling, I
get some errors saying "Activity failed", "Archiver failed", etc. But i
read here

http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2002-August/012391.html

that those are unimportant... are they?

The fun part comes when installing. After complaining about a whole lot of
directories not existing, it stops with an error message

(..)
swarm/space/Diffuse2d.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/ConwayLife2d.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/Value2dDisplay.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/DblBuffer2d.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/Discrete2d.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/Ca2d.class : no such file or directory
swarm/space/GridData.class : no such file or directory
make[2]: *** [jar] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/swarm/java/swarm'
make[1]: *** [install-stubs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/swarm/java'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I've been struggling with this for days. Help!

Thaks in advance,

Dinis

P.S. - (for the ones passionate about the windows/linux discussion)

After lost hours in front of the computer trying to install this, let me
empty my heart to you: it is i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e to migrate completely to
linux for the common user, as I've been trying to do. And it's a shame, I
share the ideal and would love to defend it, but I just can't, not fully
anyway. It takes hours, if not days, for every task that in windows takes
seconds or minutes, even if there are a thousand good reasons why it is
so.