swarm-swarmfest2004

[SwarmFest2004] Re: [Directors] swarmfest paper evaluations: can't all

From: gepr
Subject: [SwarmFest2004] Re: [Directors] swarmfest paper evaluations: can't all be talks!
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:31:53 -0700

Thanks for making my edits, Rick.

I'd like to push for the following to be a talk and not
just a poster.

 > Tim Hendtlass <address@hidden> and
 >    Tom Rodgers <address@hidden>
 > Discrete Evaluation and the Particle Swarm Algorithm.
 > (full paper)  N
 > Review-1: gepr                         20 > 30
 > Review-2: rlr                          Poster > 15min (is it ABM?)
 > Review-3: alex                         Poster > 15min
 > [note from alex: we've had the particle swarm people before,
 > and it's always borderline as to whether it's really ABM,
 > it's more of a technique like GAs or NNs that a model of
 > something per se, but it's worth a poster slot and maybe
 > a 15min talk if we had time]

I understand that it's not considered "agent-based"; but, I think
"abm" is starting to become overly specific and it isn't a good
thing for us to restrict ourselves to that limited definition.

Particle swarm optimization is another example of fine-grained,
distributed, problem solving and _should_ be as big a part of
our community as any other specific algorithm (like GAs or ANNs).

We're slowly becoming too "object-oriented" and and too much of
a tool-driven or tech-driven.  In the same sense that we want
"swarm" to mean more than the objective-c "reference implementation",
we want this style of problem solving to continue to include
things like swarm optimization and discrete dynamics.

Besides, Eric is the keynote speaker. [grin]

glen