[Swftools-common] question concerning the usage of pdf2swf externallinkf

From: Igor Gassko
Subject: [Swftools-common] question concerning the usage of pdf2swf externallinkfunction parameter
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:29:24 +0200

Hi!
I'd greatly appreciate any help on the following matter.
I'd like to provide a callback for pdf links instead of opening the link URL. As far as I understand,  externallinkfunction is meant to serve exactly for that purpose.
I've created minimalistic Flex application to try out this concept. It loads swf file generated from very basic pdf file (containing one line of text with two links) by the following command-line:
pdf2swf -f bar.pdf -o bar.swf -s externallinkfunction=foo

The Flex application itself looks as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
public function foo(baz:String):void
{
mx.controls.Alert.show(baz);
}
]]>
</mx:Script>

<mx:SWFLoader source="bar.swf"/>

</mx:Application>

When I run the application, bar.swf loads and displays, but nothing happens when I click on the links.
When I decompile bar.swf, I can see that internal event handlers contain the following call:
foo("http://www.something.com");
So it should work, but it won"t.

I'm definitely missing something, apparently, in "externallinkfunction" parameter usage.

Thanks!

Igor Gassko