Re: [Swftools-common] e-text

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] e-text
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:13:28 -0800

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:00:49AM +0100, Gunivortus Goos <address@hidden>
wrote:
> for several years I'm using the pdf2swf for publishing texts on my webpages.
> The main reason was and is, to make it more difficult to copy and use those
> copyrighted texts illegal. But since the last year I noticed an increase of
> stolen texts which I offer. Several Linux users told me, it is really easy for
> them to get my swf files and get the text out of it.

It is. Especially since SWF files, by default, contain all the Unicode data
necessary for reconstructing the text.
You can switch that off in pdf2swf (remove the -f flag, or, in the GUI,
set the "Insert full fonts in SWF file" option to false). This will make
it harder (albeit not impossible) to extract the text in many cases.

Notice that this will also disable text selection in the viewer.

Matthias