Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 04:26:40 +0200

Hello,

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:03:21 +0100
Michael Vogt <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:13:14PM +0200, Sviatoslav Sviridov wrote:
<skipped/>
> > - I think it's neede to change installation process on rpm-based systems.
> > now it start rpm for every package. but no information about current
> > package in progress window. It's better to allow rpm install all packages
> > in one command. In this case would be nice to have progress for current
> > package and for overall process of installation (rpm shows this with
> > --fancypercent option). And it whould be good to handle configuration
> > options in apt.config that adds some options to rpm.
> > APT now can order packages for installation by itself, but it has
> > problems, so I have always RPM::Order=true in apt.config. I think it's
> > better is synaptic will process this option and give to rpm all packages
> > to install at one command. As for implementation, i think it's possible to
> > use pkgRPMPM::ExecRPM() to run rpm process and parse it's output.
>
> Thanks for this hints. I have no expertise in this area. I hope
> Gustavo can give me a hand with implementing this issue. AFAIK he's on
> vacation right now.

I think that for now the best way for rpm-based distributions is to use
RGZvtInstallProgress. It allow to see more information during installation
progress. But it's needed to apply appended patch to allow using of it on
rpm-based systems (synaptic-0.30-alt-zvt-progress.patch).

I've also appended some more patches to this mail:
- synaptic-0.27-alt-configure-acsubst.patch i need to use for compile gtk
interface after running autoconf (i'm using autoconf-2.57)
- synaptic-0.27-alt-i18n.patch from "Dmitry V. Levin" <address@hidden>

And russian translation also appended. Not all interface is translated:
- as mentioned by Anthony Fok not all translatable strings in synaptic pot;
- I didn't translate filters names (if first run synaptic as "sudo synaptic"
when logged in as user, then filter names will be translated and saved. if
then run synaptic with LANG=C - interface in english, but filter names are
russian. there was problems even with displaing such filters in gtk1 version,
with gtk2 it saves names in unicode and displays it later correctly if correct
font is used. but I still think that it's better to not translate filter
names. How do you think?)
And also there some strings, than should have different translation depending
on place it used, I still not shure how to make it better.

--
Sviatoslav Sviridov
[mailto:address@hidden [ICQ#10845380] [Lintec Project] [MLUG]