Re: Fw: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: 8 Jan 2003 16:32:19 +0100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:48:00PM +0200, Sviatoslav Sviridov wrote:
> Hello,
Hi Sviatoslav,

[snip]
> > > to install at one command. As for implementation, i think it's possible to
> > > use pkgRPMPM::ExecRPM() to run rpm process and parse it's output.
> >
> > Thanks for this hints. I have no expertise in this area. I hope
> > Gustavo can give me a hand with implementing this issue. AFAIK he's on
> > vacation right now.
>
> I think that for now the best way for rpm-based distributions is to use
> RGZvtInstallProgress. It allow to see more information during installation
> progress. But it's needed to apply appended patch to allow using of it on
> rpm-based systems (synaptic-0.30-alt-zvt-progress.patch).

Right, thanks for this patch. I'll apply it, if no one object. But
I'll have a look first on a rpm based system (so it may take a few days).

> I've also appended some more patches to this mail:
> - synaptic-0.27-alt-configure-acsubst.patch i need to use for compile gtk
> interface after running autoconf (i'm using autoconf-2.57)

applied, thanks.

> - synaptic-0.27-alt-i18n.patch from "Dmitry V. Levin" <address@hidden>

applied, thanks.

> And russian translation also appended. Not all interface is translated:
> - as mentioned by Anthony Fok not all translatable strings in synaptic pot;

Thanks for the translation.
This is fixed in CVS. The next version 0.31 will be released this week
and will (hopefully) have correct po files.

> - I didn't translate filters names (if first run synaptic as "sudo synaptic"
> when logged in as user, then filter names will be translated and saved. if
> then run synaptic with LANG=C - interface in english, but filter names are
> russian. there was problems even with displaing such filters in gtk1 version,
> with gtk2 it saves names in unicode and displays it later correctly if correct
> font is used. but I still think that it's better to not translate filter
> names. How do you think?)

Yes, I see there is a problem here. I'm not sure what to do for
now. Maybe we should translate for now and I'll add this to my (ever
growing ;) todo list to decouple translation/save of the default filter.

> And also there some strings, than should have different translation depending
> on place it used, I still not shure how to make it better.

Can you please give a example so that I better understand the
problem.

thanks for your help,
 Michael

--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734
You Know You've Been Playing Too Much Nethack When...