Re: [Synaptic-devel] french i18n

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] french i18n
Date: 08 Jan 2003 17:07:24 +0100

"Michael Vogt" <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:35:51PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > Hi,
> Hi,
>
> > I've just translated new strings.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > To help me to get a good translation, can you explain what is exactly
> >         WeakDepends
> >         ReverseDepends
> >         Pinned
> >         Package changes
> >
> > What the use of label_pkgname, label55 (should it be translated, like
> > étiquette55?)
>
> The label_something string shouldn't be translated, they are never
> displayed. I wonder why they are there in the first place. I'll see
> what I can do to get rid of them.

It was my assumption.

> For the other stuff:
>
> WeakDepends is a debian concept. In addition to "Depends:", we have
> "Recommends" and "Suggests" that means, the package will work without
> those "Recommended/Suggested" packages but it can make use of them in
> some way.

Should it be translated or is it something never
displayed too?

> ReverseDepends is a special kind of package filter. If you want to
> know what packages task-devel has as dependenicies, you define a
> filter that says: "include all packages that reverse depends on
> task-devel" (that could be say gcc, g++, gdb). It's more or less
> what you see if you click on "What depends on it" under the
> dependencie tab.

Ok, got it. Nice feature.

> Pinned means, that the package will never upgraded through
> apt. It'll stay the same no matter if there is a new version
> available.

What's the difference with "hold package"?

> Package changes is used in the package summary window (just after
> you click procceed). It gives you details about what packages will
> be installed, removed and upgraded.

Ok.

> If you (or someone else) have suggestions for improving the english
> names of the above, just let me know. I'm not a native speaker, so
> suggestions are always welcome :)

As you problably noticed, I'm not a native english speaker too, so...

I'll update the remaining strings soon,

Cheers, and wish you a happy new year!

--
Mathieu Roy