Re: [Synaptic-devel] [RFE] RPM group enhancement request

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] [RFE] RPM group enhancement request
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 22:15:22 +0200

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:54:20PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Now I've updated and rebuild all those packages so that they are in a
> > proper group, but synaptic seems to use the group of the oldest package.
> >
> > It would seem better if synaptic would take the group of the newest
> > (version) package as the definitive category to list the package in.
> >
> > At least that is what I would have expected ;)
>
> The attached patch makes synaptic use the group of candidate version
> (which isn't necessarily the latest but the one that would get installed)
> in the main view.

Thanks a lot for this patch and for your support to solve this issue.
I'll definitly commit this patch, but I'm relocating ATM and my
internet access is very limited currently. Things will be a bit more
settled next week (I hope :)

> There are actually quite a many places where synaptic shows information on
> whatever it happens to be first in VersionList which isn't necessarily
> correct, at least the following use "random" version for the information
> (from rpackage.cc):
> - section
> - summary
> - maintainer
> - priority
> - description
>
> Fixing would be quite trivial..

Please just do it :) Such a patch is more than welcome.

>       - Panu -
thanks,
 Michael

--
"Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are."
        -- Martin Schulze