[Synaptic-devel] Re: abend of synaptic

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: abend of synaptic
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:30:40 +0200

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 04:39:54PM -0500, Dave Knezetich wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I've never reported a program error before, but here is my effort, since
> I thought you should know about it:

Thanks a lot for reporting. This is importend, as otherwise the bug
will not get fixed :)

> "synaptic-0.40-1.fr.i386.rpm"
>
> Version was installed on this Linux system:
> Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
> address@hidden dknezet]# synaptic
>
> (synaptic:3615): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `new_group' for
> class `GtkAlignment'this should never happen, please report
> address@hidden dknezet]#
>
> [Program ends]

Is this a copy-and-paste from the terminal? Because there should be a
newline between "libglade-WARNING..." and "this should ..."

I strongly suspect that the problem is releated to your
/root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf. There is a variable called
"TreeDisplayMode" that should be between 0-3. If it is out of this
bounds, there is trouble (if that is the case, I still don't know how
synaptic managed to corrupt this configfile though).

I need some more information to solve this problem:
1. Can you please rename your /root/.synaptic directory and see if the
   problem is caused by a odd config-file?
2. If not, can you please do a gdb backtrace for me? To do this,
   start: "gdb synaptic"
   then type "run" and wait until the program crashs/exits
   on that point please type in "backtrace" and send me the complette
   output.

> "synaptic-0.36.1-0.fdr.1.rh90.i386.rpm"
> This version still works fine, however, when I revert back to it.
[..]

Thanks, interessting to know. This might help finding the problem.

> I hope this will be of use to you.  If you want any other info, I will
> be glad to try to help with my limited knowledge of Linux.

Thanks a lot. As I wrote above I need your help with gdb to spot the
exact location of the error.

bye,
 Michael