Re: [Synaptic-devel] What does HAVE_RPM Mean?

From: david farning
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] What does HAVE_RPM Mean?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:33:59 -0600

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 16:42, Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:25:18PM -0600, David Farning wrote:
> > I was going through the source for synaptic and came across
> >

> > #if 0 --is this used of debugging?
>
> This is just another way to say: "leave this code out". It usually is
> cruft or stuff that was rewritten and left in as a reference in case
> there are bugs in the new code. Sometimes (in rare cases) it's code
> that is not ready yet.
Thank for the quick feed back.  I thought this was for debugging, but I
like the idea of leaving in old code as a reference.

> > #ifdef HAVE_RPM --I assume that this depends on the presence of some
> > RPMlibs.  Which system have these libs and which do not?  A google
> > search just gave me hits of synaptic source.
>
> This is a define that comes straight from the configure script. It
> checks if we build on a rpm system (like connectiva or RH) and set
> HAVE_RPM if this is the case.
Clear enough, debian systems would then HAVE_RPM == False.  I tried
looking through my ./configure and Makefile for references to RPM but
found none.  It works, but I just can't find the reference.
> > #ifdef HAVE_ZVT --I have no idea?  Again google just showed synaptic
> > source.
>
> This is from configure as well. You can call configure with
> "--with-zvt". This will tell configure to look for libzvt from
> gnome. This is terminal emulation widget so that we can show the
> output of the package manager directly in a subwindow of synaptic.

Is this something to include? If so why?

I broke my configure.in and Makefile.in when I fix them for for daily
build build later today.  I'll try to get some output from ./configure.

> I hope this helps :)
>
> bye,
>  Michael

My port to python to going pretty well

percent done
aboutPanel       100% done
findWindow        50% screwed up something in my indentation so it fails
painfully
gladeWindow 100% done
mainWindow        70% so far I've just left HAVE_RPM parts commented out
preferencesWindow 95% done
repositoryWindow  50% current effort
UserDialog        20% just enough not to break anything else
packageLister     10% just enough not to break anything else
package cache     1%  stubs only

I've given this project a working title of vYum,  within the next few
weeks i hope to start putting code out to the public.  Last week I
opened a project at sourceforge for that purpose.

How do the details of licensing work for a language port?  I intend to
stay GPL.  I want to give credit where credit is due, but also want to
insure that vyum stays open source.

How do you who have put 100'S of hours into synaptic feel about this
branch.  I think it is a pretty important branch.  Redhat needs a easy
package management tool not dependent on up2date.  Now with fedora and
it's yum repos this seems like the way to go.

Finally, I've spent a few hours hour experimenting with keeping vyum
current with synaptic via diffs of CVS.  Basically, studying diff in
synaptic and then implementing them in vyum.  It seem to work pretty
well.   I would like to keep vyum as parell as possible on the gui side
(that is really your strength) and let the back end evolve with yum and
users needs.

My intended path is to:
port gui related stuff
port packageLister populating with dummy packageCache
rewrite pcakageCache (this looks like the hard part)

Thanks
Dave Farning