Re: [Synaptic-devel] New download/execute dialog

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] New download/execute dialog
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:55:27 +0100

Le Jeudi 27 Novembre 2003 11:32, Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :
> I made a new glade mockup for the download and execute dialog.
>
> Both dialogs are merged into a notebook. But I am not sure if this could
> be easily implemented or better than two single dialogs.
>
> In the download list only active and failed downloads would be shown.
> This would keep the list more clear and we could also do without an
> extra error dialog, since the user would see all failed downloads and
> could choose between ignoring them or to cancel the whole process. The
> ignore button should be disabled so long as no download failed.
>
> If all downloads are completed the dialog would automatically switch to
> the next tab or window - the executing of the changes.

Nice dialog. I am not sure I understand the word "notebook" (sorry for my
English).

This question may be stupid: would it be possible to replace the bottom pane
with this dialog during installation? From a user point of view, having very
few Windows is important. There are always five windows opened on my station
at the same time. :)

But, the main idea is that Synaptics is a possible solution for a Debian/RPM
installer. Like any installer, Synaptics could display installation progress
bars showing both 1) total status and 2) current package status.

I don't know if the interactive shell can also be integrated in the bottom
pane (like a Konqueror shell). It may cause thread problems.

Is it technically possible?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel