Re: [Synaptic-devel] selecting previously deselected...

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] selecting previously deselected...
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:41:24 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your feedback!

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:27:55AM +0100, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> maybe it's my not so perfect english, but
> this message sound to me as if the package has earlier been selected,
> then deselected and now selected again.
>
> IOW and IMHO deselected is the result of an action (change from
> selected to unselected) whereas unselected is a state.
>
> This is consistent with the dictionary at www.britannica.com:
> "to deselect" is a transitive verb, to unselect does not exist. unselected
> is defined as "not selected".
>
> I propose to change the message to "selecting previously unselected"

You are refering to the messages in the "Install Progress" window? The
stuff that the package manger outputs?

If so, there isn't a lot we can about it. This is stuff from dpkg, we
just "start" it. The debian package manager is not optimal in more
respects. I would love to hide it from the user and present a
progressbar instead. But dpkg does not give any progress information
at all (unlike rpm).

bye,
 Michael