Re: [Synaptic-devel] Notion of "pin"

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Notion of "pin"
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:13:12 +0100

Am Sa, den 27.12.2003 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 14:44:
> Dear all,
>
> Could you explain what is the "pin" notion in Synaptic?
>
> "Pinned": Is it "Pinned to a specific version"?
> "Package is pinned.": Is it "Package is pinned to a specific version."?
> "Pinn": Is it "Pinn value"?
>
> In French, "Pinned" cannot be translated in one word. I need more English
> words to be able to translate "Pinned".

"Pinned" means that the default version which the package manager would
normally choose is overwritten. This term could also be replaced in the
English version - I don't like it either, since it is very cryptic to
new and normal users.

Another issue with "bad" language would be "hold". Michael and me have
decided to replace it with "locked".