Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:14:28 +0100

Am Mi, den 14.01.2004 schrieb Panu Matilainen um 09:25:

> They used to be referred to as "orphan packages" IIRC, and the term is
> used in up2date as well to refer to packages which aren't available from
> any of currently configured channels (RHN/yum/apt). Not sure if it's any
> clearer to the user though :)

We already use this term for nor more longer needed dependencies
(deborphan).

> How about "manually installed packages"?

This could be mixed up with packages not installed as dependency. I
think that aptitude makes a difference between automatically and manual
installed packages. This feature has also been discussed as a possible
addition to synaptic.

Regards,

Sebastian