Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:48:00 +0100

Am Di, den 20.01.2004 schrieb Michael Vogt um 01:46:

> Looks like we still don't have a consensus about the term. I see two
> good candiates right now:
> "manually installed packages"
> "local packages"

It should be possible to describe the situation when an obsolete package
is not installed using the new term. Because after the removal of a
local/obsolete/not available package it still appears in the package
list. At the moment it even has got the status "not installed
(available)" - which is obviously wrong, since the transition to the new
terms is not complete.

So perhaps we should discuss the status messages at whole before changes
to the code are applied.

Here is a list of all possible status messages in the terms of
"installed" and "available":

installed
installed (upgradable/upgrade available)
installed (not available)*
installed (locked)
available
available (new)
available (locked)
not available*
broken
queued for installation
queued for removal
queued for removal including configuration
queued for upgrade
queued for downgrade

* local/obsolete packages