Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural forms and translation

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural forms and translation
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:20:51 +0200

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:06, Slobo wrote:

> And finally need some explanation about these strings: (I have problem
> translating them cause:
> 1. they are unclear
> 2. don't know what they are doing)
> Can someone help with this (describe what is behind these strings)?

Let see...

> #: common/indexcopy.cc:51 common/rpmindexcopy.cc:75
> #, c-format
> msgid "Stat failed for %s"

"Stat" is a system call to obtain information about a file.
This is basically failure to access (because of permissions, file
doesn't exist etc) the package list %s on a CD-ROM.

> #: common/indexcopy.cc:89
> msgid "Internal Error: Couldn't fork gzip. Please report."

Fork means launching a new process, in this case to uncompress the
package files with gzip. The fork failing at that point has nothing to
do with gzip actually, it means that creating a new process (in which to
run the gzip eventually) failed which could be because of system is out
of memory or something like that, eg should never happen under normal
circumstances.

> #: common/rcdscanner.cc:540
> #, c-format
> msgid "Failed to stat %s%s"

See the above "failed to stat" item, it's basically the same thing.
Wouldn't hurt changing the english versions of these to something more
understandable as well :) For example "Failed to access file %s%s" would
be easier to translate.

> #: common/rpackage.cc:773
> msgid "package is/will not be installed"

Humm.. I'm not quite sure about this, but based on the context I'd parse
that as "the package is not installed on the system, and will not be
installed by this operation either".

> #: common/rpackagecache.cc:92
> msgid "Internal Error, non-zero counts"

This happens when the package cache has just been opened and initialized
but there are packages marked for installation or deletion which is a
"can't happen" situation.

> #: common/rpackagelister.cc:291 gtk/window_filters.glade.h:50
> msgid "Residual config"

Wouldn't have any idea if it weren't for the comment in rpackagefilter.h
:) Means a package is not installed but there are configuration files
belonging to it on the system (happens only on Debian).

> #: common/rpackagelister.cc:299
> msgid "Pkg with Debconf"

I would think that means the "package supports debconf" which is a "new"
configuration management system on Debian.

> #: gtk/window_main_hpaned.glade.h:99 gtk/window_main_vpaned.glade.h:100
> msgid "_Tag Tree"

This is a view like "Section Tree" but arraged based on "Tags", only
available on Debian - quoting from README.debtags:
---
In a nutshell the system helps to organize the huge collection of
debian software by extending the traditional section scheme. Instead
of putting a package into a section (base, net, etc), you can put
arbitrary "tags" on it. Mutt for example has:
"client, mail, mail::imap, mail::pop, net, netcomm, protocols"

This makes searching and displaying the packages more flexible. With
the new "by tag" tab in the filter editor you can add a filter that
search for packages that e.g. inludes the tags "mail, client" and
exludes "ui::qt" if you look for a email client that does not use Qt.

You can also browse the tag hirarchy (that is actually not a real
hirarchy) with the new "tag tree" view.
---

        - Panu -