Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synapitc - Last Second String Changes

From: Emil
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synapitc - Last Second String Changes
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:09:08 +0100

On 2004-01-30, at 10:40:11 Panu Matilainen <address@hidden>
wrote:

> FWIW I'll be glad to help the best I can with questions on code but
> I'm afraid I didn't see the "previous question".

Ok, So I done some inspection, to realize where this error comes from.
Included screenshot explains almost everything. The first paragraph of
this message comes from LC_MESSAGES/libapt-pkg3.3.mo (package apt) which
is encoded in iso-8859-2:
>msgid "Type '%s' is not known in on line %u in source list %s"
>msgstr "Typ '%s' jest nieznany - linia %u listy źródeł %s"

the second is from synaptic which has utf-8 here:
synaptic.po
#: common/rpackagecache.cc:51
msgid ""
"The list of sources could not be read.\n"
"Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem."
msgstr ""
"Nie udało się odczytać listy źródeł.\n"
"Przejdź do konfiguracji repozytoriów, aby naprawić problem."

As You can see all messages are unreadable. The simplest way to
reproduce it is of course putting some wrong entry in sources.list
I guess you can get the similar effect on every language which uses
different encodings for libapt and different in synaptic.
So my question is: Is there any way to solve it? This error message
doesn't look user friendly.