Re: [Synaptic-devel] New term for "No changes" is needed

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] New term for "No changes" is needed
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:36:56 +0100

Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Gustavo Niemeyer um 12:00:
> > the package action items in the menu or context menu are all verbal
> > constructions, except of "No changes". I think that we should make this
> > consistent. So here are some proposals from me:
> >
> > - Dequeue
> >
> > This term would also reflect the "queuing" concept in synaptic.
>
> I confess I'm not in favor of the "queue" concept, after all, there
> are no visible nor abstract "queues" in Synaptic. I think "scheduling"
> would fit better our purposes.

This might be right from a perspective which also takes the internals in
consideration [which I don't even know exactly :) ], but on the ui level
the things look different.

The queue with changes is visible in the "programmed/queued changes"
filter and the summary dialog to the user.

Furthermore the queue terminology is commonly used to describe the way
of selecting something, putting it on hold, collecting more and then
finally applying them at once. This is the way the interface works.

IMHO I was not the only new user who asked what "programmed changes"
are.

The idea behind the introduction of queue was to unify the former used
terms "mark", "selceted" and "programmed".

I don't think that the user should be bothered with code internals. The
ui should use clear, familiar and consistent terms.

> > - Do not change
> >
> > This would be nearest to our current term.
> >

> > What do you think about this?
>
> I still like "No changes" over these choices.

But why not use the verbal form?