[Synaptic-devel] Build problems....

From: Richard Bos
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Build problems....
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:18:49 +0100

I started to repackage synaptic after upgrading apt-rpm.  During the
repackaging I encountered some problems...

1) the synaptic build process uses db2html to create the synaptic manual html
files.  Due to the version that I use (which comes with my distribution) the
rpm build failed as db2html removed the directory:
BUILD/synaptic-0.47/doc/html/figures/ !!!
I don't know why, but it happens.  Fortenately my favorite xml application
xmlto is around and I used that to get around the problem.  As I think that
xmlto is better than all the db2* tools, may I propose to start using xmlto
instead of db2html in the synaptic build process?

An advantage of xmlto is that it's output files are not some random numbers:
Writing ar01s02.html for sect1(synatpic-win)
Writing ar01s03.html for sect1(synaptic-single)
Writing ar01s04.html for sect1(synaptic-repo)
Writing ar01s05.html for sect1(synaptic-filter)
Writing ar01s06.html for sect1(snyaptic-prefs)
Writing ar01s07.html for sect1(synaptic-bugs)
Writing ar01s08.html for sect1(synaptic-shortcuts)
Writing ar01s09.html for sect1(myapp-about)
Writing apas02.html for sect1
Writing apas03.html for sect1
Writing apa.html for appendix(synaptic-gpl)
Writing index.html for article(index)
(Attached the diff  I need to get the rpm build)

2) I build synaptic as regular user and I see the following message:

scrollkeeper-update -p /usr/var/scrollkeeper
-o /tmp/making_of_synaptic-0.47/opt/gnome/share/omf/synaptic
Could not create directory /usr/var : Permission denied
Cannot write to log file: /var/log/scrollkeeper.log : Permission denied
Could not create database.  Aborting update.
Cannot write to log file: /var/log/scrollkeeper.log : Permission denied
make[4]: [install-data-hook-omf] Error 1 (ignored)

Should I be worried about it, if not can it be disabled in the makefile?
I have the /opt/gnome/share/omf/synaptic output file, so it does not seem a
problem to me.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless