[Synaptic-devel] Feature Request - A "Build Date" Column in List

From: Scott White
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Feature Request - A "Build Date" Column in List
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:46:33 -0500

Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to say thanks for such an extremely useful and well-designed app. I haven't had to deal with command-line rpm dependency hell in months, thanks to apt and its front-end, Synaptic. I'm using Synaptic 0.47 on Fedora Core 2 test1.

I was wondering about including a date column in the list widget that would tell the user the date a package was built. Unfortunately, I don't think this is an easy thing to do since apt, to my knowledge, doesn't provide date information about packages. why do you think this stat would be left out? Anyway, I think the build date would be a useful way to look at "Not Installed" packages to find the most recent additions. As soon as you update the available packages, the "New in Archive" list gets rewritten (which it should, of course). however, after several updates it's becomes impossible to remember what packages were recently added. Since the "Not Installed" list is probably the longest on most users' systems, it is the hardest to look through. Anyone else think this would be useful?

Regards,
   Scott