[Synaptic-devel] Trouble with updating xfree86

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Trouble with updating xfree86
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:13:05 +0100

Hi,

yesterday I set to work seriously to upgrade xfree86 on my unstable-box from 4.2.1 to 4.3.0. Since it came out, I've been afraid I'd s... up my system because of unresolved dependencies.

On the command-line,
address@hidden:/home/pc# apt-get install --dry-run xbase-clients xfonts- 100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfree86-common xfs xfwp xlibs xlibs-dev xnest xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xspecs xterm xutils xvfb would work OK. However, that's what I only discovered yesterda. Before, when I marked all these packages for update in synaptic, I got warned that an exceedingly huge number of packages (Gnome/GTK-related) would be removed. Marking each of the xfree86-packages individually led to xbase-clients being the single package that caused all that havoc.

Apparently, the packages marked for removal depended on libice6 or xlibs (>4.1.0); so their dependency was fulfilled by xlibs 4.2.1. xbase-clients (4.3.0) depends on xlibs (4.3.0). Somehow, when marking all xfree86-packages it doesn't seem to get through that the xlibs- dependency still is fulfilled, resulting in the mass-removal.

Finally, when selecting all packages of the xfree86-packages except xbase-clients, xbase-clients is listed among the packages that will be upgraded and nothing is marked to be removed.

I'm not sure what is wrong there, but as passing all of the xfree86- related packages to apt-get install works I guess synaptic is behaving a bit...unexpectedly. :-)

Best regards,

Andreas