[Synaptic-devel] CDROM installations

From: Andrey Tarassov
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] CDROM installations
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:08:38 +0100

Hi!

I have several comments about how synaptic handles installation of packages from a CD-ROM.

First of all, when the packages are fetched from the CD, the download speed and remaining time are both displayed as zeros. For example, if you are installing some kde package which is some 20-30 megabytes, then it takes several seconds to fetch it, but not 0 :-) And the download speed is surely higher than 0 b/s :-)

Secondly, it would be great that in case a package is available on several repositories, the following fetch order would be used:
- local file
- CD
- ftp/http

Currently, as I understood the package source is selected randomly. So, if you try to install all packages from a CD, there is a chance that some will be fetched from the web instead.

Thanks,

Andrey

--
Andrey Tarasov