Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:20:00 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Am Do, den 17.06.2004 um 9:12 Uhr +0200 schrieb radoeka:
>
> > Send me some I will include them in my apt component, or if you like
> > you can obtain your own apt component.  I would like to obtain a script
> > that converts suse's *.sel data files into their corresponding
> > rpm metadata packages.

Hmm. My groupinstall system for apt could be rather easily be extended to
cover Suse's *.sel files as well, the only RH-specific part there is the
"backend" python script which parses the comps.xml file, if I just make
the backend configurable it'll then be possible to have a common system
for at least Suse and RHL/FC on apt. Now we "just" need to
a) write the backend for Suse's *.sel files
b) make those accessible from Synaptic

> Sorry, but I am not familiar with apt component. I don't know if this is
> possible or how hard this is, but perhaps we could also introduce the
> SuSE selections into the category browser on the left side.
>
> Michael works on implementing Debian's task system.
>
> Another issue with SuSE and RH (and other distros?) are the under-
> sections separated by "/" in the section string. Would it be possible to
> use a treeview in the category browser?

Hmm, that might be useful for some purposes as well but at least on RHL/FC
the package groups aren't useful at all for task-style operation.

> OT: I have problems to build apt-rpm on a SuSE x64 9.1 system. Are there
> already any packages, Richard? I couldn't find any.

Note that apt-rpm on multilib systems like x86_64 isn't all that smooth
sailing. Or actually .. no problems as long as there aren't overlapping
i386 and x86_64 packages but once you do (at least on RHEL and FC this is
the case for a typical installion) things break rather spectacularly :-/

        - Panu -