Re: [Synaptic-devel] mandrake version issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] mandrake version issues
Date: 19 Jul 2004 01:45:29 +0200

Hi WIll,

sorry for my late reply. I'm a bit busy right now.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:20:24PM +0100, Will Napier wrote:
> Hi, I am new to this list. I am non-technical, and I'm using Mandrake 9.2
> with Gnome. I was using an older version of synaptic, and wanted to
> update. I removed it from the system with rpm -e. I attempted to install a
> newer version and got this error message:
> address@hidden willnapier]# rpm -ivh synaptic-0.50-2mdk.i586.rpm
> warning: synaptic-0.50-2mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> 26752624
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.0 is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
>         libstdc++.so.6 is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
>         libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4) is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
> I already had the rpm in my home directory. I thought that rather than
> chase these dependencies, I would try apt-get to sort them for me. After
> running apt-get update and downloading a large number of new files:
> address@hidden willnapier]# apt-get install synaptic
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package synaptic

I'm using debian on my system so I'm probably not the best person to
give advice :) But I'll try nevertheless. It looks like you need to
update apt and libstdc++. I would also rather use apt-get to get those
than do to this by hand. I guess you have to talk to the person that
maintains the mandrake apt-rpm repository and ask if he can provide
some updated packages for synaptic.

> So I went back to the uninstalled rpm and re-installed. It seems to work
> as it did before, ie it is a fantastic utility, but it does sometimes
> crash.

If it crashs, I would love to know what version you are
using. The latest versions of synaptic are apparently pretty solid. I
have not had crash reports for quite some time now. 0.50 (or even
better 0.52) should work pretty well.

> Also, when I want to install, although I'm non-techy, it seems to
> demand a suspiciously long list of required updates and
> dependencies.

What exactly take the long list of required updates? Synaptic itself?
Or the packages you want to manage (e.g. upgrade) with it?

> It has messed around with my gnome menus (eg, xkill used to be on
> the menu, now it either isn't or I haven't found it; Gaim is now not
> in 'networking - instant messaging' but in a new one called
> 'internet - instant messaging').

Synaptic is not doing all this. The packages that synaptic upgrades
are responsible for this sort of change.

> These are not important, but Synaptic does crash on pressing
> 'execute' fairly often (it seems to depend on the package chosen to
> install, ie, if it happens on that package, you can't install it at
> all from synaptic).

I would really love to hear if this is still the case with a more
recent version of synpatic. If so, I'm very interessed in fixing it :)

> Any comments on the above greatly appreciated. In particular I would
> like to know how I might successfully install the synaptic-0.50-2mdk
> rpm, or if advisable, an even newer non-mandrake rpm.  with thanks
> for any advice offered, Will.

I think it's best to ask the person that maintains the mandrake
apt-rpm repository for updated synaptic rpms. Then you can just
apt-get it. I would be interessed in what repository you are using
(what url).

I hope that I was able to help you a little!

bye,
 Michael