Re: [Synaptic-devel] Newbie qstn: repository on a local hard disk?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Newbie qstn: repository on a local hard disk?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:24:48 +0200

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 05:28:08AM +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> Hello!
Hi,

[..]
> I often use Synaptic to install and upgrade software (also default Yum
> for system upgrades). Using Synaptic for these tasks feels rather simple
> and intuitive. I have had some problems too, many of which relate to
> documentation. There are some things that I know I should be able to do
> with Synaptic, but I don't know how.

Great to hear that it (mostly) is simple and intuitive :)

> One of these things is installing software which resides on my own hard
> disk. It's mentioned in the Synaptic manual that repositories can be
> located on a local hard disk. I tried hard to make Synaptic to see a
> directory on my hard disk as a repository, but I failed. What I tried to
> do, was to add a path to the directory in question in a field named
> "URI" in the "Repositories" window. When I clicked "OK", nothing new
> ever appeared in the repository list. I tried to write the path in
> several different ways, but nothing worked. I even tried to search the
> web for several hours for the answer and did find a couple of people
> asking the same question, but they were just guided to do the thing
> using command line tools. I realize that it may just be some simple
> trivial thing, which I don't see, but anyway I'm stuck. (In the future
> I'll propably have the same problem with optical disks.)

You may try the rpm-dir method of apt-rpm. Have a look at:
http://lwn.net/Articles/60650/
(3. Local repositories)

Basicly you just have to drop all the RPMs you want to have in your
local repository into one directory (e.g. /repos/conectiva/RPMS.local)
and then add the following to your sources.list:
rpm-dir file:///repos conectiva local

It's a pretty cool feature!

I hope this is what you are looking for.

> Thank's for the developers for Synaptic - I really like to use it. If
> anyone is interested, I might send more questions, comments or
> suggestions from a newbie perspective in the future.

Yes, feedback is always welcome. Just send it we'll try to address it :)

Cheers,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ