Re: [Synaptic-devel] experimental task support added

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] experimental task support added
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:48:03 +0200

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:04:38AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > > Ok, apt-groupinstall needs to be modified talk this protocol then. Not a
> > > big deal, the operations match 100% it's just syntax which differs
> > > somewhat.
> >
> > Sorry there is a little typo here. It should be "--task-desc $taskname"
> > (notice the missing "r").
>

> No problem, I haven't yet touched any of the groupinstall stuff other than
> make a quick "ok it seems to work" test version.

Here is another quick update for the --list-tasks interface. Sebastian
noticed that it would be nice if we are able show what tasks are
already installed. Do do this we need to extend the interface.

It now looks like this:
--list-tasks: returns a list of the format
              "$installed $taskname\t$task-short-description"
              where $installed can be 'i' (installed) or 'u' (uninstalled)

Examples:

$ tasksel --list-tasks
database-server SQL database
i desktop Desktop environment
u dns-server      DNS server
u file-server     File server
u mail-server     Mail server
u print-server    Print server
u web-server      Web server

If it is not possible to determine if a task is installed or not just
mark it with "u" and if a user tries to install it, synaptic will do
the right thing(tm).

I hope this is the last change in the interface. But I guess the
savest option is to keep waiting until synaptic and tasksel for debian
are both released :)

bye,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ