Re: [Fwd: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.52-17 interface]

From: sashko
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.52-17 interface]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 01:41:22 -0400

Sebastian Heinlein said the following on 07/25/04 07:49:

No, I don't agree. I think that his email adds no value; besides that we
now know that "sashko" prefers flaming around instead of taking a look
at the archives.

he-he...
Now it is developer's turn to bite me. :) Well I apologize again for being rough, but that was my first reaction after finding that latest release of Synapric, I've just got, is completely unusable in the way I was doing it before. That' why I'm back again to v0.48. :)

You are right, that was my fault not looking in archive, now I see that there were a people who thought like me. "However, I am not entirely happy with the changes in the user interface in the
latest version. " /Frank Van Damme/
That's  the way I should start my message :)

Nevertheless, I must say that I'm not satisfied by any of your answers to him.
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/synaptic-devel/2004-07/msg00050.html)
You guys really took off a lot of extremely useful features but didn't add anything instead.
Example:
1) I want "new in repository" packages to be sorted into sections. Can I do that? - The right answer is NO. 2) I have 2 repositories in my sources.list offering the last version of the same package, but one of them has extremely low download speed. Am I able to choose which one to download from? Well, you know the right answer already.
if you want I can add another 10 examples.

Anyway, take a look on attachment. It took me whole hour to polish that. I believe everything is clear without comments. Drop-down boxes can be different from your point of view, but the main concept is how I see it.

Oh, I almost forgot about those tons of poor users being "confused by the technical stuff presented in the main window." (c) Sebastian Heinlein. To prevent them from getting heart attack I propose to add a radio-button somewhere in the "Preferences" dialog window (assume it is "Appearance" tab) switching between Normal(Beginner) and Advanced interface, which would take off all that confusing tabs, along with all the rest stuff you decide. (perhaps leaving just one Big Green Button - "I HAVE NO IDEA - JUST DO EVERYTHING FOR ME"). You know, that is how uncle Bill prefers to to do. It is obvious that the mentioned radiobutton has to be switched to "Normal" by default.

So, looking forward to see your comments... and lets watch our language.

Regards,

PNG image