Re: [Synaptic-devel] Using synaptic over the net?

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Using synaptic over the net?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:04:31 +0200

On 2004.09.07 02:05, Ivo Marino wrote:

As far as I manage also a set of remote Debian GNU/Linux based servers
on which I have ssh/ftp/What-I-prefer access I would be interested in
using synaptic `over the net` to view, install and remove packages on
remote machines.

I do this by establishing a connection to the remote X-server via ssh and redirecting the display of remote synaptic to my desktop. For brevity, I use this alias:

alias ssynaptic='ssh -X address@hidden gksu synaptic'

May be what you need. Alas, I use that in a LAN, so for real-life application it might well be too slow. :-)

Best regards,

Andreas