Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:03:22 +0300 (EEST)

Been intending to reply to this as well..

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Michael Vogt wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> thanks for your feedback!
>
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:17:17PM -0500, Jon Roland wrote:
> > I use Synaptic as a package browser but still use apt-get in xterm to
> > do the upgrades and installs because I like to save the output from
> > the operations to a file, so I have a history of installs and
> > upgrades, and can get the error messages that can affect which

The history of installs and such is already possible on rpm systems using
apt's Lua-interface. Several different scripts to do that exist, each
with some differences in functionality:
- https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/apt-rpm/trunk/contrib/log/
- http://laiskiainen.org/apt/lua/pkglog/
- http://www.mattdm.org/misc/apt-stuff/

...but those only log what was installed, removed, upgraded etc but not
the possible error messages and such.

> > packages I install or upgrade, and how (with an -f option, for
> > example). The Synaptic front-end hides or fails to preserve this
> > important information. The problem could be solved by adding a
> > function under Preferences to set the name of a log file into which
> > all the output would be appended, then give the user the option of
> > showing the additions to the log file in a window that does the
> > equivalent of tail -f.
>
> Adding logging functionality is pretty high on the todo list. We want
> something like the log viewer of gaim.

Would be nice indeed, and I suppose not too hard either since Synaptic
already groks rpm's output. For .deb systems that's somewhat different of
course...

        - Panu -