Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?

From: Chris Miles
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:31:27 +0100

Michael Vogt wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:44:35PM +0100, Chris Miles wrote:
Hello,
Hi,

I have just installed the Skype Linux rpm on RH9. This insisted that I have qt3 >= 3.1 installed. I have qt installed at 3.1.1 so I installed --nodeps and the package works fine.

My problem is that now I cannot use Synaptic without removing Skype.

Is there something I've missed that would allow me to mark Skype as "OK" or only dependent on qt >= 3.1?

I hope http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q26 helps you.
It may be interessting to add this feature to the gui, but I'm
unsure. What do you think?

bye,
Michael

The suggestions in http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q26 did not work for me, skype_qt3_1 is still marked as "broken" in synaptic and will be removed if I "apply" any changes :-(

With /etc/apt/apt.conf:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
RPM {
   Ignore { };
   Hold { "skype_qt3_1"; };
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Command line use of apt-get gives:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
address@hidden lib]# apt-get -s install acpi
warning: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 skype_qt3_1: Depends: qt3 (>= 3.1) but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
I have also tried -o APT::Ignore-Hold=true

Could I edit the dependency list (change qt3 to qt) or make a dummy package called "qt3" to satisfy the checks?

As to adding such a feature to the interface it is something a.n.other could want. Although this package is the first I have found like this (different name for package) it would be nice to be able to mark the package as "ignore" for your checks.

However I would not want an "ignore"d package to be hidden away, I just want to leave it alone.

What does the team think, would such a facility encourage people towards a disorganised system?

Chris